Wednesday 24 August 2022

The Peacock 616

 "And", Sheila adds, "None of you came out damaged, you all turned into adults I could be proud of, if that's supposed to matter."

"Are we similar?" Sarah asks Michael  "Your sister and I, I mean."

"Ask my mother."

"Yes", says Sheila.  "You are like a younger version of Suzanne."

"Is that a compliment?"

"Take it whichever way you want", says Sheila, "But it is not an insult."

"Where is she now?"

"In Toronto the last ten years, working on her second marriage, adjusting to a new career as a market analyst, and putting both her kids through university."

"Do you miss them?"

"We Skype regularly", Sheila says.  "She worries nonstop about me."

"How about your other son"

He is in Burnaby raising three kids with his wife.  I'm lucky to hear from him twice a year..."  

No comments:

Post a Comment