Saturday 27 August 2022

The Peacock 619

 "You seem quite delighted with your granddaughters", says Carl.

"I am proud of them both for not swallowing their mother's neo conservative Kool-Aid.  She was hellbent on turning them both into her obedient little clones and they both rebelled, " says Sheila, "Big time.  I blame a lot of it on corporate capitalism and globalization.  Greed and selfishness has snatched away the soul of an entire generation, I'm afraid.  But not forever.  Nothing is forever.  Except maybe eternity, that is, and who knows, maybe even forever has a shelf life."

"But you were always an activist", says Maureen

"I wouldn't use that word.  I simply have always thought with my own mind, and have tried sometimes to live the reality of what I am thinking."

"Like when you were taking in refugees from Chile", says Michael.

"For example", says Sheila.  "My younger two really resented having to share our big house with strangers that didn't speak a lot of English."

"I was proud of you", says Michael.  "Mom, I'm still proud of you."

"Well, one out of three ain't too bad, at least.  And you, at least, did seem to understand why we were doing this.  Suzanne still doesn't seem to get it, but unlike her younger brother, she at least seems to have forgiven me...."


No comments:

Post a Comment