Monday 5 August 2024

The Peacock 1324

 Carl has gone in with Jesús to help him get all his belongings while Sarah distracts the Ukrainian landlord and I stand sentry with the baseball bat.

"Who are you?" he says to Sarah.

"I am a librarian at the public Library, on leave right now during covid. I also have a minor in law, and I used to work in tenancy support, so I know all the laws, and you do not have a legitimate case here.

"How come Canadian women so bossy.  Ukrainian women much better.  They obey husband.

"I am not married."

"How come you not married.  You need good husband.  might be too late, you get old now."

"I've already been married", she says tactfully.

"And now you divorce.  How come Canadian girls no keep their man."

"I am a widow", she says, choking back emotion.

"How come you no find other husband, since your husband dead now."

"I was married to a woman", she says, just as Carl and Jesús are coming out.  They are each carrying two plastic garbage bags full of our Colombian friend's earthly possessions.

"That's all you need to know for now", says Sarah as we are all headed back to my car.

"what about his baseball bat", says Sarah

"I´ll drop it on the next corner", say I.

"Well done", says Carl.  "We don't need that goof smashing your windows....


No comments:

Post a Comment