Sunday 25 August 2024

The Peacock 1344

 "I really should have been more careful.  But all the stress and excitement today, of course I wasn't going to be my most watchful, what, with the long trip down here, staying with Carol, and then the incident with that poor Ukrainian man.  Oh, I do hope he's okay, how awful.  We really should have stayed and at least helped the police.  There is a law against fleeing the scene of an accident."

"How could we have possible helped?" says Carl.  "First he tried to assault Jesús when he couldn't extort him, then he tried to run us down with his fucking truck.  And the police are going to find the alcohol in his system.  Not our problem."

"But what if he dies?"

"He'll be okay."

Say I, "Jesus did say that he would be sitting at his table tonight.  Whatever that means."

"Jesus?" says Sarah.

"The kid who told me to give him the baseball bat and the keys, when he approached the car."

"I didn't see or hear anyone", says Sarah.

"Better believe him", says Carl.  "How else could the bat and the keys have disappeared like that?  And now Chris, about those cookies you just threw in the garbage...

No comments:

Post a Comment