Friday 30 August 2024

The Peacock 1349

 The odour of fresh cooking wafts from the kitchen and the living room is full of people: Francois, George, Chelsea, and a woman I have not met before.  She is around sixty, but with her short white haircut could pass for older.  She is dressed in a shapeless green, blue and purple caftan, with bangles hanging from both forearms.

"Hello, Christopher", chimes Chelsea, "I would like you to meet Dorothy, my mother's partner.  The woman smiles shyly and raises her hand as I approach to briefly shake it.  

"Hello Carl", says Chelsea, And he follows me to make his introductions to Dorothy.

"And", says Carl, "This is Sarah, and Jesús."

"Where is Jeffrey?" says Carl.

"I'm in the kitchen, cooking dinner."

"Can I help with anything", say I.

"In about five minutes you can chop mushrooms and garlic if you don't mind making your fingers smell lovely..."

No comments:

Post a Comment