Tuesday 20 August 2024

The Peacock 1339

 "We really do have to keep him in line", say I.

"Totally agreed", says Sarah, grinning.

"I'll buy you yet", says Carl, imitating a film noir gangster.  "Every single one of you little rotters.  i'll buy you all, body and soul.  You will be mine...mine...mine....mine", then he ends with a maniacal laugh.

"Yeah", say I, "Just look at the little price tags hanging from our necks."  Jesús finally is smiling

"Wanna cookie, little boy", says Carl, dangling a chocolate chip cookie in his face.  Still smiling, Jesús accepts the cookie and bites into it.

"anyone else", says Sarah.  "There's lots."

"I'm still full from lunch", say I, and it looks like I am the single abstainer as my friends all greedily dive into the bags and begin to devour cookies.  "maybe we should save some for the others when we get home?"

"Probably a good idea", says Carl.  "But for some reason, I can't seem to stop.  

"nor I", says Sarah.

"Me neither", says Jesús who suddenly breaks into a maniacal laugh, followed by Sarah, and then Carl.

The server looks on from behind the counter, a conspiratorial grin forming on her face.  She appears to know something that we do not...

No comments:

Post a Comment