Wednesday 5 May 2021

The Peacock 151

 "How long have you been part of the community?" I ask Francois

"It'll be a year next month", he says, still smiling.

"How's it going?"

"Better than I expected.  There are...challenges."

"you mean Douglas?" Carl says smiling grimly.

"Now, he isn't here to defend himself."

"Is he still in seclusion?" asks Aaron.

"Likely for the rest of this month". replies Francois.

"We know each other", Aaron says.

"You and Douglas know each other?"

"Long time ago."

I ask him, "how did you come here to this community."

"I came here from the monastery."

"Another refugee", says Carl, helping himself to coffee and cake by the tea trolley. "

"Were all of you in the monastery?" I ask.

"Three of us.  The three women here are from the city.  and six others came from a different community.  and there is also Tristan, the young guy.

"So there are thirteen of you?" Carol asks.

"Fourteen with Douglas."

"And who is this Douglas?" she asks.

"you don't want to find out",  Aaron says.

"I'm afraid Aaron is right", says Francois, almost as an apology to Carol.



No comments:

Post a Comment