Monday 24 May 2021

The Peacock 170

 "Jeff smoked some hash with his arrogant Frenchie, then they left together.  I went back to sleep for a while, then woke up in the middle of the night. Jeff was still out and it must have been after midnight.  I went for a walk.  a very long walk taking me past Hyde park then past Buckingham Palace and all the way to the Thames where I saw Big Ben, and the silhouette of the Houses of Parliament on the other side of the river and Westminster Abbey, and everything felt so close and strange and familiar but rather small scale and I found myself wanting to sing my litany to Peggy Lee, "Is that all there is?"

"Dawn was already breaking. I had been accompanied for awhile during my ramble by a young Japanese student, and we had a very enjoyable chat as we walked together along the walled off gardens of Buckingham Palace.  But now I had had enough, I was tired again so I hailed a cab and returned to the hotel.  Jeff was still sleeping it all off, and I went to bed.  When we both awake mid morning or so, he scolded me for wandering off alone like that and putting myself in danger, then I counter-scolded him about bringing French idiots into our room and using drugs with them.  He got it, and promised it wouldn't happen again.  Of course I had no reason to believe him..."

No comments:

Post a Comment