Tuesday 25 May 2021

The Peacock 171

 

"After a sumptuous breakfast in the hotel, we wandered around for a while and explored the Portobello Market, a huge outdoor Saturday market that stretched for many blocks.  We lost each other there, but I think more to the point, Jeff intentionally lost me there.  He must have found travelling with a dedicated Christian while he was determined to carry on with a totally useless and self destructive life, a little bit, shall we say, embarrassing?  I was tired, anyway, went for a wander on my own, and walked some more in Hyde Park. I did have to go back to sleep, and was woken up at night by Jeff bringing in yet another pathetic idiot he had picked up at Champions.  This time they got a room together, and even though he insisted later that they hadn't had sex, I was neither jealous, nor did I care, nor did I particularly  believe him.  He could see he was rapidly losing his power over me.

"The next day was more of the same, but he came back to the hotel alone.  Then the following day, we were befriended by a pretty young Swedish couple, both musicians, so they wanted to talk music and the whole biz with Jeff.  I rather liked them, found them refreshingly sane, and a real relief after several days with that waste of DNA.  They came back to visit us for a while in our hotel room, where Jeff played them the demo tape for his band.  They damned it with slightly less than faint praise, suggesting that it sounded like a demo.  But we were getting rather noisy, and I was concerned about Jeff getting us into real trouble, so, I went to the front desk and talked to the manager, who came to our room to toss out our new friends, after giving Jeff quite the stern scolding.

"That was the same day when in the morning, we went to Scotland Yard precinct in Highgate in North London, where Jeff was interviewed by police about the murder of his former lover, Jim.  The famous cemetery, where Karl Marx and other luminaries were buried, was nearby, so I went for a visit and wandered among the tall grass from headstone to headstone to monument.

"After two more days of coping with the imbecil, we took a fast train, a four hour trip, up to Edinburgh in Scotland.  He didn't want me to go with him, but I insisted, and I am sure now that he had gone there to buy drugs with money I had given him to survive on.  Then things got really interesting..."

No comments:

Post a Comment