Friday 14 May 2021

The Peacock160

 "We seemed to do okay without Doug in the picture.  It was also my time to recover, because I had just had three years of that oppressive bastard while coping with my mother's impending death.  Jonn was suddenly homeless, so I let him stay in the apartment and I went to Richmond where I lived alone, fulltime in the farmhouse.  I busied myself doing more renovations and painting.  And I still spent a lot of time downtown and was also meeting Doreen and Dianne for prayer at Shiloh House every morning.  It was time to get myself back, to reclaim the life that had just been swallowed whole by Doug, community and trauma.  I was also sleeping and resting a lot.

"At the end of April I gave up the apartment, since Jonn had found an apartment.  We were all getting rather stupid.  Dianne became emotionally involved with a young addict with mental health issues, Jonn got mixed up with another person with problems, and I got messed up with Jeff, failed rock star and Rod Stewart wannabe.  Oh, it was the perfect storm.  Dianne moved her new dysfunctional heartthrob into Shiloh House where he became an ongoing problem.  She, as always, refused to heed anything Doreen had to say about it, and poor Doreen, she really got the worst of it, until she had to leave Shiloh House and move to the farm house in order to just cope.  Dianne´s beloved little Michael, by the way, was the same age as her daughter.

"But I was being every bit as stupid and clueless, and it all started the night I closed down the apartment, went for a walk downtown, and made the mistake of stopping to chat with Jeff..."

No comments:

Post a Comment