Friday 21 May 2021

The Peacock 167

 "According to Jeff, he had an aunt Joyce who would be waiting for us at the Gatwick Airport in London, and we would be spending our first few days in her house as her guests.  Curiously, as well as having the same name as my recently deceased mother, this Aunt Joyce of his, like my mother, also had red hair.  Not one of Jeff's more clever lies, I'm afraid.  I still swallowed it, not because I entirely believed him, but being rather a pleasant fiction I opted to not challenge it.  Besides which, I was already rather used to being lied to.

"We were just going to clear customs.  Jeff told me to go in a different line from him and he would meet me at the other end.  Later he was nowhere to be found.  I looked and searched all over for him.  About a half hour later, I saw him at the exit of the terminal, allegedly looking for a cab.  He scolded me tartly about getting lost, said nothing about the absence of his aunt Joyce, except that there had been a miscommunication, so we went back to the terminal where a worker helped book us a hotel.

"Oh, I should also mention that before he left me at customs, he demanded that I give him five hundred pounds so it would look okay with the customs officials.  Of course, he was really just trying to get away from me and leave me stranded and abandoned in this huge foreign city of London..."

No comments:

Post a Comment