Sunday 30 May 2021

The Peacock 176

 "I was of course very worried about Jeff, though why I do not know, except I had become so habituated to his emotional maelstrom that my life suddenly felt dreadfully empty without him.  So the next couple of nights, I wandered around downtown Edinburgh looking for him in various pubs and bars.  By Sunday I accepted that he was gone, and was finally ready to enjoy my liberation from him.  It was Father's Day, so I phoned my dad to wish him a happy Father's Day.  Even though it is his ancestral city, he seemed a bit perplexed and bewildered that I should call him.  Then I did a walkabout in the city, found my way to a mall on the outskirts where in a drugstore I bought a pair of haircutting scissors, of such a fine quality that now, thirty years later, after daily use, I still have them.

"Monday morning I boarded the fast train to London, where I booked a room again at the King Henry the Eighth Hotel, where I stayed another four days, until I found cheaper accommodations nearby."

We have just reached the town, which isn't really much of a place.  Just behind the gas station is the large garage where I have parked my car.  

"Is that all?" says Carl to Aaron.

"There is a lot more, but we're about to go for lunch, so maybe we could save it for later."  We all leave the car together.  The worker, to whom I entrusted my car, has given me the okay.  He is pretty typical of small town BC guys.  Around thirty years old, slim with a potbelly, sunglasses and ballcap.  Red and green plaid mac shirt covering a black T shirt with a Def Leppard logo.  He is smoking a cigarette.

"The diner's just across the street", says Carl as I return.  So the four of us, four persons most unlikely to have been thrown together even in extraordinary circumstances, make our way to a meal of burgers and beer in this Fraser Valley backwater, now a community, now a family...


No comments:

Post a Comment