Tuesday 18 May 2021

The Peacock 164

 "It appeared that Jeff and I  would be together long term in London.  He told me some pretty fabulous lies.  That he had a friend in Amsterdam we could stay with, and also an aunt in London who would take us into her home as soon as we arrived.  I swallowed all of it and he would frequently tell me 'You are young...and blonde'.  From the largess of the money I got from my mother's death, I bought our plane tickets, with flexibility in case I needed to return sooner than expected.  My idea was that I would find some kind of work and a place to live but I really had nothing realistic sketched out.  It was really the stupidest trip I ever could have taken, and my first ever experience, at the age of thirty-five of international travel.  And Jeff, evidently had been back and forth between England and Canada many times and he himself was a British subject with a plummy public school boy's accent.  Which made him all the sexier, natch.

"In the meantime, I continued to take care of him, entertain his friends, and tolerate his various sex buddies. After two weeks of sleeping there on his couch I had had enough and returned to Richmond for  a rest where I stayed until the day of our departure to London.  It was a lovely day of late May, morning, and I had spent the night on his couch, since I didn't want to sleep with him, ever.  He insisted that I go ahead of him to the airport and there wait for him. His friend and ex lover drove me out there.  I could tell he was trying to warn me about something but it never really quite got through.  My friends, Jonn, the young native man he was in love with, and Doreen were there to see me off, and following lunch together I was already running late, and after waiting and waiting for him he didn't appear to be on his way.  My friends had already left and so I was just doing my check in, then making my way to departures just as the last call was being announced for my flight.  

"That was when Dianne appeared like a bat materializing out of the dark ether, and she started to argue with me, justify what she was doing with Michael her beloved little loser, and arguing and arguing, and I couldn't get rid of her and thanks to that stupid woman, I missed my flight.  She had already vanished again before I could kick her ass.   Now having nowhere to go, I went and got on a bus and returned to Doreen in the farmhouse in Richmond..."

No comments:

Post a Comment