Saturday 8 May 2021

The Peacock 154

 "Hey, Carol", says Carl."There are a lot of black people in England, eh?"

"Too many."  Aware of the shocked silence to which she has just become a centrifugal force and cause, she shifts uncomfortably, between mouthfuls of cake, and says sheepishly, "I mean to say, a lot.  There are a lot of blacks in England."

Carl says, "You meant, too many."

"Darling", she says with a forced smile, "I am not a racist."

Now Francois is staring at her with a cool, calm and measured glare.

"Oh", she says, averting her eyes from him. "I'm sorry."

Francois doesn't respond, simply continues staring at her.  He is not about to give her a pass, and his clemency clearly is not going to come cheap. 

"They´re like that throughout Europe", says Melissa.  "Even in the Netherlands.  Deplorable."

"England", Carol snaps, "is not part of Europe.  You have never heard of Brexit?"

"England, the whole United Kingdom," says Aaron, "Is very much part of Europe.  And unlike the French or the Italians, they don't know how to cook."

"You've never had a good English breakfast before?" Carol says querulously.

"Not if you fancy canned baked beans with eggs deep fried in oil and dry white toast."

I almost say something about my conversation on Skype today with Erik, about Turks not being Swedes, but now I think it's good that we are now off-topic.

Francois leans back, relaxed with the cat on his lap, and smiling, hw is clearly starting to enjoy the show...


 "How long were you at the monastery?", I ask Francois.

"Long enough."  He hasn't had coffee or cake, just seems absorbed in cuddling the big cat on his lap.

"How did you leave?"

"Carl came and got me."

"How did that happen?"

"Jeff and George were both in touch with me.  One of the brothers gave me their contact information, because I just had to get out of there.  I left vespers early, stuffed all my clothes in a plastic bag, and there he was standing outside his car in the driveway.  We were gone before anyone could track me."

"Why did you leave?"

He doesn't answer.  He has become suddenly very withdrawn, and it is clear that the subject is now closed.

Suddenly, to Carl, Francois says, "Can I sleep here tonight?"

"As far as we're concerned, Francois, you have already moved in. After lunch, Christopher will take you up to your room, which will be right next to his."  Carl looks at me, smiling, and says, "Thanks, Christopher."

"No worries."

"And in just five minutes we are going for a car ride", he says, still smiling...


  

No comments:

Post a Comment