Thursday 27 May 2021

The Peacock 173

 "We checked into rather a nice hotel in downtown Edinburgh.  We went for dinner, then after I went for a walk alone, near midnight, in the cemetery  below Edinburgh Castle.  I understood from my father that we had some link to Scottish aristocracy, and I wanted to affirm that sense of ancestral contact through this visit. Jeff stayed in our room drinking as there was a minibar in our room.  We already appeared to be going separate ways.  Upon arriving in Edinburgh, I went straight to a high Episcopal Church nearby, Old St. Paul's.  I was seeking support, and I was hoping to talk to one of the priests there.  but I did attend mass in the chapel where I had a beautiful sense of God's presence and grace.  I did meet a friendly woman there, and we chatted a bit.

"The next day, I was becoming fixated on the mountain Arthur's Seat, that loomed just outside the city and from my hotel room window I could see that it was probably walking distance.  I somehow knew that when I ascended Arthur's Seat, I would have entered into the High Places with Christ.  In the meantime, I walked around alone in Edinburgh, taking in the sights and the sites because there is a lot of ancient architecture in that fabled city.  The wind was very strong that day, and though it was already the middle of June, it was chilly. Plus, for all the scotch distilleries in that city, there was an oppressively sweet stench of malt in the air.

"I slowly made my way to Arthur's Seat, where I was already set to climb to the High Places..."

No comments:

Post a Comment