Saturday 1 January 2022

The Peacock 383

 For Rhona this became her moment of confession.  Here are her words as well as I can remember them, she really wanted to tell us everything. She was sick of living with secrets.  So, we sat in one of the reception rooms the following evening, sharing a bottle of wine, and she simply blurted out:

"I have wasted one entire year of my life with those idiots.  They were all concealment, lies, secrecy. no one could say anything without censure.  We were Philip's slaves and everyone treated him like God.  I got in the same as everyone else.  I was a dancer in a bar in downtown Vancouver.  Not exactly a stripper, but still often went down to pasties and g-string.  But it was a more sophisticated establishment, not quite under the legal radar.  In fact, we were sort of a booze can, or you could say we were in a kind of legal grey zone.  But I needed the money, I was in Canada courtesy of my boyfriend, Mark, from Seattle.  He was one of the first draft resisters, and just barely escaped getting shipped to Vietnam.

"Everything went sideways between us. He basically found someone else, and before I knew it I was alone and broke. So, I was sitting in this bar one rainy November afternoon, and this guy approached me and asked me if I wanted to try dancing.

It didn't seem too bad.  The patrons were usually couples, often professional or well heeled businessmen.  It was , for a semi booze can, quite a class act....


No comments:

Post a Comment