Monday 10 January 2022

The Peacock 392

 "I'm done", says Jesús.

"Agreed", says Aaron.

"That is just amazing", says Maureen.

"Bizarre, I would say", says Jennifer.

"How did you come across that?" says Sarah, lightly rubbing her right nostril with her forefinger.

"I found it here in my bedroom when I was just a kid", says Carl.  "Since it's all written in Spanish, I assumed that one day we would be able to translate it."

"Did your father happen to know anything about its existence?", says Carol, stuffing yet another cookie in her mouth.  I am beginning to wonder if I can see a little bit of excess weight forming around her middle.

"I never told him about it."

"Why not?" she says, her tone just a little bit imperious.

"You never knew our father", Melissa says.

"No, I suppose I did not", Carol says.

"Well", Carl says.  "Neither did we."

"What kind of man was your father,,, anyway?" I ask.

"I met him a couple of times" says Aaron.

"Yes, you told us.  He knew your dad, you were telling us", says Carl.

"But I should imagine", says Carol, "That for all the time you spent with him here alone together in the wilderness", that surely you must have communicated with him."

"You really didn't know our dad", Melissa says,, and Carl merely is just sitting there, his face expressionless and blank...





No comments:

Post a Comment