Friday 21 January 2022

The Peacock 403

 "So you were involved in the young people's group in your church?" says Carl

"Even though I was just fifteen, I somehow landed on the leadership committee.  I guess being the priest's kid had a lot to do with it."

"What would churches ever do without committees", says Carl, laughing, "How would they ever cope!"

"Point taken", say I.  "Hey, give me some chocolate chips, already!  You greedy pig!"

Carl, still laughing says, "Okay what's the magic word?"

"Now!"

"Your wish is my command", he says, handing over the bag with theatrical flourish.

"Here is his entry for Canada Day, July 1.

"Today is Canada Day, and I don't feel like celebrating. Funny thing, my studies in environmental sciences tell me that we basically stole the land from the Indians, then totally raped it with mining, industry and urbanization, so really, what is there to celebrate.  The other day in church everyone stood to sing O Canada.  I stood and sang too but really don't know what I was singing about.  I knew a lot of Indian hookers, a lot of them in drag, and really, Harriet, they wouldn't be standing out on the corner had they not been driven there by white imperialist Canada.  I don't get what singing the national anthem would have to do with Christian worship, since god and country are really separate deals.  But I haven't yet had this conversation with Jim.  I think I'll bring it up at supper tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment