Thursday 13 January 2022

The Peacock 395

 "Did you receive visitors?" Carol wants to know.

"Never". Carl says.  "I think the isolation really got to him.  He had a girlfriend, but I don't think he ever received her here, he always went away to see her."

"I met your father's girlfriend.  She was a friend of my dad's", says Aaron.

"What was she like?" Carol says.

"Oh, decidedly normal, I would say.  She was back then around fifty years old,  Your dad met her at AA, and like your dad she was often falling off the wagon,.

"What was her name?" Carl asks.

"You never met her?"

"She never came here", Melissa says.  "Dad rarely even mentioned her.  Don't forget, he almost never talked to us."

""Her name was Sophia.  She was an artist and had a studio in the cabin where she lived in Robert's Creek.  She did become rather fond of my dad and was often over for a coffee and a chat."

"Otherwise", Carl says, "He was pretty isolated."

"Only once", says Melissa, "Did we ever see a visitor here during those days, and that was the same day he died..."

No comments:

Post a Comment