Friday 14 January 2022

The Peacock 396

 Who was it, anyway?" says Aaron.

"I never had a look at him, I'm afraid", says Melissa.  "We simply heard a strange voice in the house, some guy with a European accent, I think Spanish or Italian, maybe Portuguese,  talking quite angrily with our dad.  I went downstairs to see who it was, but then he was gone.  I asked Dad who was here and he simply said no one and went off to the bathroom."

"Nothing more?" Carol asks, who has not put anything new in her mouth in the last five minutes.

"Nothing", says Carl.

"And that was the same day your father...passed away?"

"Shot himself is more like it", says Melissa.

"But even that we're uncertain of", says Carl, "Given some of the unusual circumstances around his death."

"Well, if the rest of you don't mind", says Carol, yawning prodigiously and just barely covering her mouth with her hand, "I think I am going to make it an early night this evening.  Rather a lot of intrigue and mystery to digest in just a single day, one would imagine."   And she hoists herself up and begins to leave the room.

"Good night, Carol", says Carl.  "Sleep tight."

"And the rest of you, as well", she says, walking towards the grand staircase.

Carl turns to me, and says quietly, "Can we read some more of Kenny's journal?

"I don't see why not..."

No comments:

Post a Comment