Tuesday 11 January 2022

The Peacock 393

"The thing about our father", Carl says, "Is that he didn't communicate. I mean, he would give orders, or reprimands, and nothing else.  We didn't otherwise know the man."

"He just accepted that he was our caretaker", says Melissa.  "We didn't even try to talk with him about anything else.  He just was never interested.  And there was of course his drinking.  That was when we really knew to stay away from him.  He could get very ugly."

"He was never actually violent", Carl says.  "But he could get verbally abusive.  The thing is, spending all that time alone here in this huge house must have done a real number on our dad's mental health.  Plus the general weirdness of the place.  It isn't any wonder why Mom divorced him.  He was simply impossible. "  On all levels you could think of."

"That is odd", says Aaron.  "I actually found your dad to be quite engaging. But  he also got rather strange once we returned here to the mansion,.  I think I already mentioned that once I spent a couple of nights in this place."

"What was that like for  you"" says Carl.

"Intense.  Your dad looked like he was going to start drinking, so I retired and went up to bed.  I didn't have a good night.  In fact, I only slept off and on and I kept having the feeling that someone was trying to get into my room..."

No comments:

Post a Comment