Saturday 9 April 2022

The Peacock 481

 "That was a beautiful cat", says Glen.

"Tobias", says Sheila.  "Yes, he was very beautiful.  Pure white with blue eyes.  He came with me to the Place of the Transfiguration and became the official house cat.  Then he came here with me.  He's buried out by the southern magnolia."

"That was hard, losing him", said Glen.

"Well, he had a long life.  More than twenty years.  And he died a very peaceful and natural death.  one morning, I woke up, and there he was on the floor.  At first I thought he was sleeping.  You know, I was never a cat person,  I can't even say I was much fond of dogs.  Tobias just insinuated his way into my heart and never left."

"You got him from Michael, didn't you?"says Glen.

"He was more Matthew's idea.  They didn't think I should be so much alone in that big house.  And I probably was too much alone, though I had learned to enjoy it, or I convinced myself that I enjoyed being alone.  I dutifully ignored that poor cat until the last year he was with me in that house.  But Tobias the cat taught me unconditional love.  No matter how much I ignored him, he would not leave me alone.  If I was having a particularly bad day, he would sit down at my side, and there wait and watch over me until I was feeling better.  Then, when that fire came and took everything, finally I completely accepted him and that bonded us for life...


No comments:

Post a Comment