Friday 22 April 2022

The Peacock 493

 " I just love apple pie" says Adam.  "How about you, Sable?" he says, turning to his companion, "Don't you just love apple pie?"  

Adam appears to have a light accent which I cannot quite place  I would imagine that Sable is Lazarus' nickname. 

"That's all well and good", says Lazarus indifferently.  "So, shall we real to these good people the truth about our age?"

Says Carl, "That could be interesting.  Especially since, Adam, you have not aged one single day since you came here.  And Lazarus' hair, I remember, used to be black as a ravens wing. 

Okay", says Carol.  "I am going to disclose to you first my age, and being a woman, that will obligate both of you.  I will tell you my age first, and I am a woman, so this is going to obligate both of you.  I am sixty-five.  Now it's your turn."  And she directs on both men a particularly radiant, dazzling smile.

"Forty-one", says Lazarus.

"And?" Carol says, directing at Adam.

"I am somewhat older than Lazarus."

"Wait a minute", says Carol.  "Didn't you just call him Sable?"

"It's my nickname" says Lazarus.

"I named him after the sable antelope", says Adam.  "Do you know them?  they live in Africa and they are very noble and black and elegant with the most amazing curving long horns."

"So, Adam", says Carol, "how old are you?"

"I am older than Lazarus." He smiles with the calm radiance of someone who seldom is not found smiling.

"Is your cosmetic surgeon accepting new patients?" says Carl, laughing...


No comments:

Post a Comment