Monday 25 April 2022

The Peacock 496

 "We should be ready to start soon", says Carl, looking at his watch.  "But where are the others.  We are still missing Francois and What's his face, along with Maureen and Jenn."

"I can check", say I, really wanting to get out of the room for a few minutes, and not even knowing why.

"Better let me come with you, says Sarah.  "They'll be in a part of the house you don't know very well,

She leads me along a corridor, past the kitchen to the other wing of the house,  which I have not seen yet.  It is like a distinct reality.  The rooms are every bit as elegant and expansive, but different furniture, rather worn and not quite at its best.    Rather cheap looking, and simply funcional, I should imagine.   If at all.  There is a sense of sad neglect here, I would imagine from the three years of Doug's presence here.  It would be very difficult to maintain a cheery home while living in a state of constant siege, I would think.  But I can also tell from the design of the rooms that Carl and Melissa have the more attractive half of the house    We are going up a staircase, as expansive, but not as elegant as the one in the main part of the house.  We can hear voices, not very loud, women and one man, likely Maureen and Jenn and Francois.

Neither are there any paintings adorning the walls here, perhaps a couple of religious themed posters, but little else.  "Hello", says Sarah.

"We're in my room", responds the voice of Jennifer

"It is a bright and spacious dormer room with slanting walls, two embedded windows and lots of light.  Jenn is seated on top of her bed, and the other two are in chairs.  The room looks and feels very different from the rest of the house.  Clean, well ordered, bright, colourful, and cheery, with paintings of flowers and landscapes adorning the walls and colours of sky blue, apple green and golden yellow predominating...

No comments:

Post a Comment