Thursday 28 April 2022

The Peacock 499

 It seems now that everyone, for the first time, is present, all of us, in the same room.  Aaron and Jesús have finally arrived.  They don't seem forthcoming about where they were were, but naturally it is going to be assumed they were out on a walk together.  Francois has not bothered to bandage his face, but the cut is so miniscule that only anyone who knows what happened would trouble to notice.  And now we are about to all find out, because Carl is just asking about Tristan.

"He ran off", says Francois.

"What happened exactly?" asks Carl.

"He made some very derogatory comments about people of colour, we got into a scuffle, and when he saw I was capable of defending myself, the little chicken ran away."

"You hit him?" Carl says.

"Self defense.  When he was going to try to throw a second punch, I blocked it and knocked him to the floor.  I know, hardly in keeping with turning the other cheek..."

"You needn't blame yourself", says Carl. "I'm sure there are times when God cuts us slack for having to deal with certain kinds of idiots."

"Well", says Carol, "I say hurrah for you Francois, and three cheers too.  It's about time someone started showing a little testosterone around here."

"Besides my sister", says Carl, snickering.

"And don't you forget it", says Melissa...



No comments:

Post a Comment