Saturday 16 April 2022

The Peacock 487

 "What time is the meeting?" I ask.

"Ten minutes", says Carl, looking at his watch.  "Shall we adjourn to the sitting room?"

"There are already two men in the reception room whom I have not seen before, both occupying one of the sofas.  They are both lean, dressed in plaid flannel shirts and bluejeans.  One would be over fifty, the other older, but it is hard for me to estimate his age.

"Mission accomplished", Sheila says, glancing at them, then positioning herself in the armchair perpendicular to where they are seated.  

"Embarrassment by mother", says the younger man, rolling his eyes.

"Just fulfilling my maternal duties, son", she says.

"What are you drinking?" he says, glancing at the cup in his mother's hands.

"Cocoa.  Would you like some?" says Sarah, seating herself with them on the couch.  "No, let me", she says, and gets up again.

"No worries", Carl says, carrying both cocoa pots with him and setting them on the coffee table.  "There's still plenty.  I can bring out some more mugs."

The older man seems solemn and taciturn.  I take the risk.  "Hi, my name is Christopher."

"Michael", says the younger man.  "And", gesturing to his companion, "Matthew..."


No comments:

Post a Comment