Tuesday 1 August 2023

The Peacock 956

 As we exit from University boulevard onto West Tenth avenue, Carl suddenly asks Francois, who is in the front seat with him, "I have a brilliant idea."

"Shoot."

"How about after the piece I am working on about Amanda that I also do a feature article about you, or better still, why don't you write the article, and I will see that you are generously remunerated for it."

"Not going to happen."

"Perhaps you could think about it."

"No, Carl.  Not even."

"But it could be a helpful way for you to process all that you've been through."

"Your magazine already has a good readership.  Can you imagine the shitstorm that would explode?"

"You would be paid very generously, Francois."

"The answer is an unequivocal no, my friend."  And I can tell by his tone that Francois is getting very annoyed with our friend.

"You can't be bought?"

"Nor rented."

Say I, "And we are not going to touch that one."

Ignoring my quip, Carl says to Francois "I must say, your integrity is inspiring.  Annoying as hell maybe, but also inspiring."  And now it appears that the rest of the ride is going to be pretty quiet.


"

No comments:

Post a Comment