Monday 7 August 2023

The Peacock 962

 "That does come as a bit of a shock", says Carl, carefully sipping his coffee, as though it could easily burn his lip.  "How did you find this out?"

"From my mother six months ago, just before she died."  Now Cynthia is taking time to compose herself.  She takes a sip of coffee, then resumes:  "My father had sworn her to secrecy about this, because it was his side of the family, and he simply didn't want it to be known.  But mom felt she had to break her promise, that I had a right to know these things, and that that was one secret she was not going to carry to the grave."

"So, there we have it", says Carl.

"Yes.  There we have it, indeed."

"My mom will be arriving here from Switzerland this Wednesday and she will be staying at the mansion.  Following her two weeks of covid quarantine.  

"I've heard of your mother.  She was part of a Christian miniustry in that country?"

"Yes, for many years.  Melissa and I also lived there for several years."

"Melissa?"

"My sister."

"Oh yes.  Naomi mentioned her to me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment