Friday 11 August 2023

The Peacock 966

 "First of all", she says patiently, "They are not my girls.  I am not their madame, and they are not under my care.  They are all incredibly courageous, strong and resilient women I am honoured to work with and have as friends.  We have a centre further down, I cannot say where because of privileged access."

"Privileged how?" says Carl.

"They need a place here they can feel safe, from bad dates and pimps especially, as well as unhinged boyfriends. Which is why I arranged that we meet here in this coffee shop."

"To protect your women from us."

"It's common sense."  I can tell that she is struggling not to lose patience with Carl, who does appear inappropriately combative.

"I understand perfectly", says Francois. "My father, a Tutsi, was murdered by Hutus in Rwanda.  "I am, or till very recently, was a Roman Catholic priest.  It's a bit of a long story, but a Hutu, one of the men who murdered my father, approached me for confession.  I couldn't absolve him.  Yes, I understand perfectly well, why the women you work with need to be protected from men."

"Thank you very much, Francois", she says, relieved.

"Yes", says carl, not quite grudgingly.   "Thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment