Thursday 17 August 2023

The Peacock 982

 Cynthia pauses and reaches for her mug.  She is struggling and trying to keep her voice from breaking, her eyes from welling up.

"I'm sorry", says Carl.  "Maybe I went too far."

"No, it's okay", she says, recapturing her composure.  "It's ten years ago yes, but...those wounds never heal.  But ten years, still, it's a long time."

"She is your daughter", say I.

"Thank you", she replies.  "And thank you for acknowledging that Celia still is my daughter."

"I work as a palliative care nurse.  I am on leave right now, because of the pandemic and for health reasons.  But this is something I know.  Death does not alter or end intimate relationships, it merely deepens and transforms them."

"Yes, that is true, so very true.  Thank you Christopher."

"You are very welcome."

"That sounds like a very challenging profession."

"Probably no more or less than what you are doing..."

No comments:

Post a Comment