Saturday 19 August 2023

The Peacock 974

 "How long have you worked in palliative care?" says Cynthia.

"About ten years."

"Very challenging work. "  I can tell she is saying this as though wondering if maybe it is time for me to change careers, to try something else.  And just now, upon hearing her speak in this kind of tone, I am myself suddenly wondering if that could be the case.

"Have you ever had problems with pimps", Carl asks.

"A few times.  We sheltered the women who were escaping, then tried to give them safe passage back to their own countries or elsewhere in Canada.  It's happened about six times."

"Are all the girls safe now?"

"Three of them are dead.  One was sent home to India, where she died in an honour killing.  Her family was not about to forgive the disgrace, even though she was abducted and brought here and forced against her will to do sex work.  Two others were tracked down and killed by their pimps.  The other three, they're okay now, and I hope you'll forgive me for not revealing any details about them.  Those are also the three that successfully transitioned out of sex work..."


No comments:

Post a Comment