Monday 28 August 2023

The Peacock 983

 "It wasn't too long before I discovered that Moira, my wife was having an affair.  We had known him in high school.  Ted, a truck driver and recently divorced,  It had not escaped my notice that there had long been a spark between them.  I had already been accepted into theological college in Toronto, and so we were already prepared to end everything.  Still a difficult process, for both of us.  As dead as our marriage had become, there was something about all the years we were together that had created and nurtured in both of us a deeply imbedded love or connectedness. We both decided to be adults about it.  And plus, and this I dd not reveal to Moira until several years later, I had also been accepted for gender reassignment therapy, also conveniently in Toronto.

The divorce was quick and relatively seamless.  Months later, Moira and Ted, her lover, were married.  I consigned to him all paternal rights over my three boys, one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do.  I couldn't face the coming reality of having to disclose to my children that their father was really a woman...."

No comments:

Post a Comment