Sunday 6 August 2023

The Peacock 961

 I don't know what I seem to be turning into over these last twenty-four hours since leaving the mansion.  It's as though an impish snarky, wisecracking little fourteen year old boy has been gradually taking me over.  I have never before been one for making sarcastic remarks, being punchy, or turning everything into a joke.  I think I like it.  Francois returns with our café americanos and Cynthia appears to take this as a signal to resume.  Apparently she really does want to include Francois and me in this conversation.

"I only found out in the last several months, that what really happened was that my great-grandfather, your great-grandfather, raped my great grandmother, who was a servant, or slave rather, in his household, and she became pregnant .  His brother was a Christian minister, and seemed to have enough consciousness of the faith of Jesus, to want to do good for the poor woman.  Apparently they had an eye for each other, and she was attending his church.  So, to cover hers and our great-grandfather's disgrace, he married her, and took her back with him to Holland.

"What I also learned, was that my great great grandmother, the mother of my great grandmother, was a kind of witch or wise woman.  Knowing what had transpired, she put a curse on your great grandfather.  which I believe some unfolding events in our family have been but the bitter fruit and outcome....

No comments:

Post a Comment