Wednesday 23 August 2023

The Peacock 978

 Carl is flaked out in the bedroom, leaving Francois and I alone to carry the conversation.  He is stirring his coffee, pensively, I think, and rather noisily, as though there is something eating at him, that he just is not going to let go of.

"Okay", say I.  "Spit it out."

"Spit what out?"

"Whatever it is that you are holding onto right now.  Or maybe it's holding onto you."

"Whatever do you mean, brother Christopher."

"Stop being coy.  What is it.?"

"That was quite the visit we just had."

"With Carl's cousin? Yes, that it was.  Any thoughts?"

"There's a lot to digest here.  I mean, I can see the need for harm reduction in sex work.  But actually maintaining the women in such a disgusting and degrading occupation?"

"It's either that or they go homeless and starve to death.  And a lot of them have kids they're supporting."

"But there must be some employers willing to give them a chance."

"One would hope.  But in this climate of cutthroat capitalism when everyone is only going to hire the best and the brightest.  You know, there are coffee shops now that will not hire anyone who doesn't have at least a bachelor's degree."

I've heard that.  Creeping credentialitis."

"That's a good word for it.  Now, please, François, spit it out already.  What's bugging you?"

"While we were in the coffee shop, I got another text from the abbey."

"Now what do they want."

"They are insisting on meeting with me here in Vancouver, in the archdiocesan office.  Apparently, I'm up for excommunication."

"And if you don't show?"

"They'll still go ahead and excommunicate me."

"Can they take any legal measures against you?"

"None."

"Then you owe them nothing."  I am definitely starting to enjoy this hardass persona I seem to be taking on now that I'm back home again.  It's not exactly that I'm getting my power back.  This is all new.  I have never before felt this strong, never in my life, and I am going to run with it.  "And anyway, you've been expecting this, haven't you?  And wanting it?"

"I just didn't know it was going to be this hard to face and accept.  It's like a major part of my identity is being stripped away from me."

"I think I understand.  I've been going through something similar as I am distancing myself from the Anglican Church."

"But the Anglican Church never quite takes possession of the human soul the way Holy Mother Roman Church can.  She is one possessive mistress.  And when you have turned against her, far deadlier than the woman scorned."

"In which case, Francois, I really l think you should stick close to us, to Carl and I.  We can bring the cat back to the mansion with us, and you can conduct your job search from there, but you really should not be on your own for now."

"You're right", he says, just as Carl is emerging from the bedroom...




No comments:

Post a Comment