Friday 3 November 2023

The Peacock 1049

 "So are you going to read to us, or what?" says Carl.  "It's closing in on ten."

"We can do a short quick read.  I'm also feeling the night.

"My second day in seminary, and everything was beginning to look promising, but then I was called to the provost's office.  He is no longer with us, and even then he seemed ancient, I would imagine already getting on for eighty. A tall, slightly stooped and rail thin man with an amazing mop of snow white hair and black eyebrows that sat on his forehead like decorative caterpillars.  Through his dark rimmed glasses glared two very intensely blue eyes that missed nothing.  A force to be reckoned with. He copped a very broad smile as I came in and invited me to sit down.  The kind of smile that a politician would wear as he launches his reelection campaign.  "Good morning, Kevin, I understand you are just settling into the life and program here", he began, when immediately I corrected him.  "My name is Karen", I said.  "That is rather interesting", he replied.  "Karen, I believe, is a woman's name.  But seated here before me I see a young man.  "

"Who you see here is actually a woman, no longer young, at least not that young." I said.

"On your records here, it says you are thirty one. I must admit that to a man my age, anyone younger than fifty is young"

No comments:

Post a Comment