Monday 20 November 2023

The Peacock 1066

 Three big lindt chocolate bars for Erik, his favourite, dark chocolate, white chocolate and chocolate with orange.  When he was living with Greta and me he would often bring these home as a treat to share with us.  I have also selected three bars, same flavours, for myself, and to try to overcome the temptation of greed and selfishness by sharing them with Carl and Francois when we get home.  For his mother Carl has selected a tin of Walkers shortbread.

"Why would anyone ever want to live here?" says Carl, on our way out of the store.

"Beats me."

"And I've never seen so many Asians in my life."

"A lot of people came over here from Hong kong during the handover in the nineties and shortly after.  There is a huge mall around here dedicated to Chinese stores, restaurants and goods."

"Just one?"

"Could be more."

"Why did they all move here?"

"A lot of them also picked Kerrisdale and South Van.  I really don't know why."  And now it is beginning to occur to me that my Dutch friend just might be a little bit racist after all.  Plus I have to suppress my instinct to call him out on it, because really, there is no way of knowing for sure, and under the current circumstances it would be like hitting a child..."

No comments:

Post a Comment