Saturday 25 November 2023

The Peacock 1070

 "We would need the whole day, and we would probably miss the one o'clock ferry anyway."

"We could stay overnight at the Empress then have high tea there tomorrow afternoon.  "Let's go."

"No."

"Why not."

"Lots of reasons", say I while savouring a  mouthful of pancake and syrup, "One, you are upset and in shock about your mom and should be taking it easy right now, two, I don't have a change of socks and underwear with me, neither do you, and we don't want to attend high tea feeling gross, and three, it would be unfair to Francois who would likely feel abandoned."

"Correct on all points as always, brother Christopher", he says with a slight moan.  His phone is ringing and he picks it up.

"Hello?...  yes, fine thanks....yes, I am...when?...today...I don't see why not...We're in Richmond right now, we can get there in an hour...okay...Thanks."

To me, he says, "That was Wee Willie Wang, the real estate agent.  He wants us to come see him today at the house again and then sign some papers."

"You're buying it?"

"I am buying it, Chris", he says, reaching for his credit card and signalling for the waitress...

No comments:

Post a Comment