Tuesday 21 November 2023

The Peacock 1067

 The hotel clerk is a young woman, Filipina I think, small slim and wearing a perpetual smile.  She can only be likable, probably has always been likable and I feel instantly reassured that Erik, and Carl's mom are in good hands.  She graciously receives the bag of books and chocolate bars and art supplies, promising they will be delivered to him this very morning.  Now, I wait for Carl as he takes his turn.  The desk clerk's smile has faded, and he appears to be tarrying, to get information.  He looks terribly worried as he returns to where I am seated, the bag still in his hand.  He sits down next to me on the sofa and I know he needs help.

"What happened?"

"They're all in hospital.  They got very sick overnight and none of them can breathe unassisted."

"They're in hospital."

"Hooked up to ventilators."  He sighs deeply and says, "Welcome to Canada."

"Are they at Richmond General?

"Yes."

"It's just a five minute walk.  let's go..."

No comments:

Post a Comment