Wednesday 29 November 2023

the Peacock1073

 We are in a Starbucks, with limited seating due to the pandemic and we are drinking our americanos from paper cups.  As Carl goes over the papers and begins signing his name here and there I find myself engrossed in conversation with Will our real estate agent:

"You are probably the youngest real estate agent I have ever met", say I, "But I also have to admit that I have never known a lot of real estate agents in my life."

"Next month I turn twenty-two."

"Is there a story there?" says Carl without looking up from the papers he is signing.

"I got into the business thanks to my aunt who lives in Vancouver.  I myself moved here from Taiwan three years ago to begin university."

"What happened?" say I.

"I ran out of funds.  You see, my father is, or was, very wealthy.  He is now under investigation and unfortunately all his assets have been seized or frozen and it looks like he might be facing prison time."

"What happened?"

"He has been indicted and convicted for committing fraud."

"And so your funding for school got dried up."

"Exactly..."

No comments:

Post a Comment