Monday 22 January 2024

1126

 He seats himself directly across from me with what looks like a black americano, his face a radiance of a beaming smile.  But I think that he, Chuck, is likely feeling as nervous as I am.

"Chuck, I would like you to meet my friend, Francois.  He is staying with both me and Carl.  You met Carl with me yesterday."

"Oh yes.  He seems very nice."

"That he is", says Francois.

"How do you guys know each other?"

"Carl runs with his sister a Christian retreat centre out in the Fraser Valley, in the mountains near Chilliwack."

"And how did you all come to know each other?"  Chuck is focussing on me alone right now, as though to him I would be the most important person in the universe.  It is gratifying, if a bit embarrassing.

"I was there as a guest, and Francois was living there.  And now we have all decided to try to make a life together in my family home at UBC. "  I almost add, you would know the place, but that just feels really inappropriate.

"How is your father, by the way?"

"He passed away more than a year ago.  Heart attack."

"I am so sorry to hear that, Christopher."

"Christopher mentioned that you re involved in inner city ministry", says Francois..."

No comments:

Post a Comment