Sunday 28 January 2024

The Peacock 1132

 "What happened when you returned to Australia?  There must have been missing person reports, searches launched for you, investigations."

"Nothing of that sort happened.  Apparently, according to my mother, I was telephoning her every couple of months during those fifteen years.  She did scold me for giving her so little news, simply to tell her that all is going well and my mates on the job are fun and interesting, or horrible and boring, but usually she did all the talking.  I have absolutely no recall of those phone calls.  Nor anything."

I am tempted to ask him about the mansion on the island where Lindstrom had been abducted to, and also Jason, formerly Adam, but the words remain lodged securely in my throat.

"That is all extremely remarkable", is all I can say.

"And now it's your turn, Chris.  "What have you been up to all these years?"

"Well, I was married, briefly."

"sS was I..."

No comments:

Post a Comment