Thursday 18 January 2024

The Peacock 1122

 "C'mon, let's go", says Carl, standing by the front door.

"Yes massah", says Francois, and Carl suddenly freezes.

"Can't take a joke?" says Francois while putting on his shoes.

"Okay", says Carl.  "But please, don't say that to me again."

"yes suh Missah Boss Man!"

"And not that either."  He clearly does not see the humour for a change.

"Well, says Francois, getting up from the couch, "How about, "I'll move when I'm good and fuckin' ready."

"Much better", says Carl, now smiling.

"by the way", he says, as we follow Carl to the van, "The reason I'm a bit delayed is I was just answering an email from Oliver, the Ugandan kid."

"Oh really", says Carl, opening the driver's door and climbing in.  "Where is he?"

Francois has just climbed in on his side and is reaching for the seatbelt.  "He won't say, because of security.  He says he's in a safe house and they have put him onto an online high school program by correspondence.  Perfect for the pandemic."  I have just put on my seatbelt in the back seat and now Carl is backing us out of the driveway.

"He said he is staying with a family and they have two teenage sons, and he likes them both.  He also found out that his father was caught in London and is being held by British authorities..."


No comments:

Post a Comment