Monday 29 January 2024

1133

 "To a girl?" asks Chuck, with innocent incredulity.

"Yes.  To a girl.  It didn't last.  She is Swedish.  We were together a year and a half, but it really wasn't working.  She returned to Sweden.  Her brother has just arrived.  He's in quarantine right now, but when he's done in two weeks he will be staying with us."

"Do you fancy him?"

"We are close."

"But do you fancy him?"

"No, not as a partner, and besides that he's my ex-brother in law.  That would be creepy.  But we do share a deep bond."

"That is interesting.  I was married three years not long after I returned to Melbourne.  I met her in the church.  We have a daughter.  wWe're no longer together.  I need to return soon, to reconnect with my kid, but also for my mother.  She has cancer, you know."

"I'm sorry to hear that.  Do you plan on staying in Australia?"

"My life is here in Vancouver, in this work of ministry.  I cannot leave my people here, not for too long, anyway."

"What happened, between you and your wife, I mean?"

"Oh, I would imagine the same that happened between you and yours.  We were living a sham..."

Chuck's voice trails off as François returns to the table, looking somewhat pensive and sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment