Tuesday 16 January 2024

The Peacock 1120

 Francois is putting the last plate in the cupboard.  Say I, "We should get going now if we want to get there by ten."

Carl has followed me into the kitchen.  "Chill.  I'll drive you both downtown."

"We can take the bus", say I  "besides, Francois will want to learn the route."

"He can learn the route on his way home."

"We'll be okay", says Francois.

"You can both speak for yourselves."  We pause and look at each other, two against one.

"Okay", say I.  "Granted.  You may redeem yourself.  Downtown, Jeeves."

"Or perhaps you'd rather walk", says Carl with a wry smile.  "Be ready in twenty minutes, both of you."

"Yes boss", say I.

"Any word about your mom's condition", says Francois.

"I was just on the pone with them a bit earlier.  She has been upgraded to stable, and they can take her off the ventilator today, they think.  Before we go, Chris, give Erik a phone call to see if he needs anything and I will bring it over for him.  "What's his last name again?"

"Engstrom.  Thanks.  I really appreciate this."

"Now go brush your teeth and make yourself pretty.  We're going out..."

No comments:

Post a Comment