Thursday 3 June 2021

The Peacock 180

 "Is there a story there?" says Carl, most predictably, I would say.

"Father Griffin thought it better for me that I come here to stay with you for a while."

"And you met Robert at the dinner?" I ask Jesús.

"He is also trying to learn Spanish."

"How do you find Father Griffin?" Aaron asks.

"I find him at the dinner", says Jesús, clearly struggling right now with his English.  He does seem rather uncomfortable right now, his eyes appear haunted, rather vacant, and he is toying with the contents on his plate.  He is the only one who declined the use of chopsticks and appears to be playing a kind of a game of miniature soccer as he moves broccoli and peas around with his fork.  I suddenly want to touch the peacock feather tattoo on the side of his neck.

"I mean, what do you think of him?"

"He is a very kind man.  Very friendly.   And very funny.  He seems to want everyone to be his friend."

"And there are times", says Carl, "That I even think that he has almost succeeded.  But tell us more about the people you left behind in Colombia..."


No comments:

Post a Comment