Saturday 5 June 2021

The Peacock 182

 "How did you know you were in danger?" Carl asks, setting down his chopsticks.

"The skulls."

"The skulls?" say I.

"Little plastic skulls.  Like the ones Mexicans use for Day of the Dead.  Therefore, I think there is a Mexican connection."

"What about the skulls?" asks Aaron.

"One was left at the door of Esteban, my friend.  He is, or was, a journalist.  Two days later he was gone.  Then, six months later, one was left at Yolanda's door, his girlfriend.  Then she was gone in a week.  Three days before my flight to Canada, there was a skull left at my door.  I was nervous, very scared.  I think I was followed to the airport.  I could see someone watching me in the airport.  No one followed me on the plane."

"Do you know yet what was really going on, Jesús?" asks Carl.

"This morning there was a text on my email.  No reply.  Only said words, in Spanish, "Aún te sigue la calavera."

"The skull still follows you", translates Aaron.

Jesús is clearly distraught.  Carl says, "You are safe here, Jesús.  You are safe with us.."

He stares down at the uneaten food on his plate.  "Can we leave soon.  I need to be back at the house", he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment