Friday 25 June 2021

The Peacock 202

 I didn't expect we would later be served coffee and cookies in the big living room.  Last night, of course, I was out of commission and had to leave for my room during dessert.  I haven't sat in here yet.  it is rather on the formal side. I was half expecting the baby grand piano but that is in an adjoining reception room.  We are all seated in a circle of comfy chairs with a coffee table in the middle, and small end tables between the chairs.  Three large windows with diamond paned leaded and bevelled glass open up onto the brilliant dying sunshine of this evening in May.  There is soft music in the background, Mozart I think.  There are golden blobs of light pouring through the windows, and little spectrum's colouring the white walls with broken rainbows.  I am thinking, now, broken rainbows.  Hope shattered, and scattered, and reassembled.  

"That was simply a most amazing dinner", Carol says almost singing,  as she nibbles on a cookie.

"Group effort", says Melissa, as she refreshes Carol's coffee for her.  Brother and sister hosts have both insisted that we let them do the serving for  evening coffee.  

"We want you to feel a little bit spoiled", Carl says.

"But not too spoiled", his sister rejoins.

"So, Melissa", Carol says.  "You are also a professional chef."

"I was in Switzerland", she says, returning to her chair.  

"And you are also an artist."

"Graphic designer, anyway."

"What was your life in Switzerland like?" They are seated directly across from each other.

"I was married then." replies Carl's little sister.  now she impales Carol with two very focussed and very staring eyes.  "Your turn, Carol", she says..."

No comments:

Post a Comment