Monday 14 June 2021

The Peacock 191

 "Philip said this would happen, Rhona told us as we stood there staring like idiots.  He said the masters would come to receive them home.  But only the chosen.  He said I wasn't chosen.  And obviously, neither were I, Lydia or Theo.  But I can't write anymore.  I am so tired.  and so afraid of sleeping.  I don't know what's going to happen to me.  I am worried about Lydia.  More than before, I realise now how much I have come to love her.  I am going to ask her soon to marry me...  "

"No puedo más" says Jesús.

"Yo tampoco", says Aaron.

"English, please", pronounces Carol.

"We can't go on", says Aaron.

"That is just so weird", says Melissa.

"But what a gripper!" says Carl.  "Can we continue this tomorrow?"

"De trocitos", says Jesús in a faintly audible squeak.

"English", says Carol rather tartly.

"Just in small doses", says Aaron.  To Jesús he says, "Cómo estás?"

"Quiero descansarme.  He perdido mi inglés.  Ocurre de vez en cuando, bajo estrés."

"Will you two Hispanics please remember that English happens to be Canada´s official language", sputters Carol, now unabashedly indignant.

"Along with French", corrects Carl mischievously.

"Oh will you stop", she says, just not shouting.

Aaron says, "Jesús says he sometimes forgets his English under stress, and this exercise has taken it out of him.  Out of us.  

"Then I say that it's time to adjourn", says Carol, huffily.

Jesús simply extends his legs the full length of the couch, closes his eys, and already begins to breathe like a sleeper..  Carol leaves, without excusing herself, and the rest of us just stay where we are in order to finish the cookies...

No comments:

Post a Comment