Sunday 13 June 2021

The Peacock 190

 "I still can't believe what I just saw, or didn't see,  What we just didn't see.  We are truly the only ones left here, me, Lydia, Rhona and Theo.  We sat up in one of the living rooms till three, but now I'm so tired, so we each crept off to our bedrooms.  I almost asked Lydia to stay with me tonight, but I think we are needing time alone to digest everything.  The thing is, will they be coming back?

They were all wearing their white ceremonial robes, I think twenty altogether, since with us four it would be twenty-four, and we just were not going to participate.  I'm actually surprised, but not too surprised that Rhona also got away  She just seems way too cool headed to be duped like the rest of them.  She even mentioned, insofar as I could understand her English, since she speaks really fast, but that for her, Philip was merely a toy, nothing.

They were singing plainsong Gregorian chant, but using their peculiar scriptures where everything sacred is distorted.  They were walking single file, carrying torches.  No one seemed to notice us, but, as usual, they all appeared to be drugged.  They all filed out way to the back, to the new magnolia tree.  In the clearing they formed a circle, then the circle took the form of a spiral moving in towards its own centre, and then the incredible occurred  One by one, as each moved to the centre of the circle they disappeared.  One by one.  We stood there, horrified, watching our pseudo family vanish as though into the ether..."

No comments:

Post a Comment