Saturday 12 June 2021

The Peacock 189

 "Now it's 11 May. 1966", says Jesús.  "It has been very quiet all day.  Everyone seems to have disappeared.  It is very quiet around here.  It is creepy. Lydia and I are still around. So is Theo.  I just saw Rhona taking a walk in the gardens, or what 's left of them.  Everything here is overgrown with weeds.  Caring for the grounds here has not been a priority of this particular community, or should I call it a cult?  I asked Rhona if she saw Philip, she just shrugged then kept walking.  It's late right now. Lydia is off in her own room.  If everyone is gone, then we will see if she can move here into my room with me.  Such absolute hypocrites.  I can't even sleep with my woman becase they want the sexes segregated, but Philip can harvest as many "brides" as he likes to call them in order to satisfy his swinish lust.  Given that Lydia was one of them, however reluctant, and however unwilling, I even have mixed feelings about having her back in bed with me.  She seems like tainted goods.

"I know I'm being unfair to her.  It isn't like I have exclusive rights with her, or her with me, even if we are sort of monogamous.  And I believe her when she says that she actually didn't let him touch her.  I think she is the first woman who's successfully resisted him.  And that seemed to somehow sap him of his power.  He has become, in a sense, impotent, so it is no longer hard to resist him.  But the others still seem to be eating out of his hand.  It's ugly.  So ugly.  

They don't seem to have left.  We have heard murmurings, from time to time, coming from the leaders' wing of the mansion.  What are they up to?  What are they planning?  What are they plotting?  I know that it's late, but I'm not even sure if it's safe yet to go to sleep.  Something is brewing, and right now, I hear voices out in the garden.  They are singing, or chanting, together.  I have to find out what's going on..".



No comments:

Post a Comment